Lemon is a citrus fruit whose major nutritional component is water with a low caloric value. In addition, it contains a number of nutrients, such as vitamin C , fiber and flavonoids, which are necessary for the proper functioning of the body and cellular activity. Therefore, this fruit has been attributed a series of benefits ranging from diuretic and slimming food, to rejuvenate the skin, eliminate acne , combat depression and prevent cancer . Lemon water, because of its ease of preparation and its low cost, has become one of the most used forms to take advantage of all the possible benefits of this citric.
What is the benefits of lemon water?
- Helps you lose weight: Besides the fact that the greatest nutritional component Lemon is water with a low caloric value (44Kcal / 100g), experts says lemon “contains a significant amount of dietary fiber, mainly pectin, which can slow down Gastric emptying, favoring the sensation of satiety and avoiding an excessive intake of other foods “. The expert recommends consuming lemon water within the context of a balanced hypo-caloric diet.
- Promotes healing of wounds: Lemon provides a large amount of vitamin C, potassium and other minerals and vitamins, such as calcium , magnesium and folic acid . According to some experts, “Vitamin C has an antioxidant effect and is essential in the production of collagen , which is necessary for tissue repair and can improve the healing of skin wounds.”
- Strengthens the immune system: In addition to the fact that vitamin C helps to create the material between the white blood cells essential for the proper development of the immune system, the expert explains that lemon water also contains citric, malic, acetic acid And formic, which can potentiate the action of vitamin C and possess an antiseptic action, “that is, they help fight bacteria and other pathogens that threaten the body.
- Helps prevent cancer: Other non-nutritive components that contain lemon are certain phenolic compounds, such as caffeic and frolic acids, as well as some flavonoids, such as hesperidin, which have an antioxidant effect and may inhibit carcinogenic activity.
- It prevents obesity and cardiovascular diseases:Experts says that “it has been observed that hesperidin presents vaso protective, anti-inflammatory, anti hypertensive, lipid-lowering and diuretic actions that can be related to a potential prevention of chronic inflammatory diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases , obesity and Some types of cancers. “
Lemon water, as has been shown, within a varied and balanced diet, has numerous beneficial properties for health. However, there are also a number of myths about some benefits that this citrus does not actually have.
- It helps to improve digestion: One of the benefits attributed to lemon water is the fact that it can help to make the digestion, since its components could accelerate the metabolism and relax the digestive tract. However, according to the experts, “there is no data to justify the popular idea that lemon juice increases basal metabolism or has a beneficial effect on improved digestion.”
- Decreases body acidity:Another of the myths lies in the fact that among the properties of lemon are helping to reduce body acidity, especially uric acid accumulated in the joints. However, says the expert, there are no studies or evidence that can verify.
- It is a remedy against acne:Although lemon water has benefits on the formation of collagen and skin tissues and has antiseptic effects on some bacteria, there is no scientific evidence to show that it can promote the elimination of acne.
- Improves mood:Lemon and its aroma are sometimes attributed to energizing properties that improve mood and may help reduce depression and anxiety.